Saturday, October 22, 2011

"Why I Am Getting Arrested Today" by Carl Dix

Statement from Carl Dix before yesterday's arrest in Harlem - appearing in Huffington Post


Like most Black people in this country, I will never forget my first encounter with the police. Like most Black people in this country, it was not a pleasant experience. Before I take you down that memory lane with me, let me say up front that today I am joining arms with Cornel West and others to voluntarily land myself in the custody of the police. We are conducting non-violent civil disobedience at the 28th Police Precinct in Harlem, New York to put a Stop to the NYPD policy of "Stop & Frisk."


.... An undercover man ran up from behind and tackled me. Next, he decked me. He said someone had been robbed and I "fit the description." It soon became clear what "description" he was talking about. He and other cops had also stopped a 40-something year old who was 5'6" with a full beard. I was only 13 years old, no facial hair yet, and six feet tall. The only thing we had in common was our Black skin and our stylish trench coats (which, again, everybody was wearing).... read more


Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Sunsara Taylor at 1:28 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com